Sunday, September 8, 2013

Really? A Beta Reader?

I've been working somewhat obsessively on revising my novel. The story is an idea that's been stuck in my head for years, and I've written at least half a dozen rough drafts of this thing, starting when I was about fifteen years old. I've decided that it's finally time to let my story poke its head out into the light, regardless of how scared I am.

Most of the advice I read about revising a novel suggests recruiting a few beta readers to nit pick over things like plot and character development, grammar and syntax, and all the other elements that come together to make a novel. I probably won't be ready for beta readers for at least another few weeks, but I've been thinking about the traits of a good beta reader.

Here are some of the things that I would like to have in a beta reader:


  • Someone who seriously wants to help improve my story. Not someone who wants to make my story into their story. 
  • An eye for details is a must. I think a few of my characters might undergo some startling changes that I failed to notice, like a change in eye color or height. They also need to be quick to recognize holes in the plot.
  • Someone who notices if all my sentences start the same way, or if I use the same phrase so many times that it loses its impact. 
  • Time. A beta reader should have time or make time to read my story before I succumb to old age. 
  • I want my beta readers to feel free to express themselves on anything they feel takes away from the story, but they also need to say what their favorite elements of the story were. 
  • Make a big deal out of cliches--nothing makes a writer seem so boring. 
The bottom line is that a beta reader needs to be honest, detail-oriented, and excited about the task put to him or her. Otherwise, the writer ends up with a mediocre story.

The thing that terrifies me about asking someone I know to help me revise my novel is that they might make assumptions about me. That's horrifying.  

Oh well. What's the worst that could happen? *Shudder* 

After I have a few beta readers look over my story I'll writer another blog post about how it went. To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment