Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Eight Fascinating Facts about Coffee


I do not give the sun permission to rise until I have had my coffee, and I know I'm far from alone when I express that sentiment. In honor of that precious liquid, I scoured the Internet and found some worthy facts about the best beverage in the world.


  • The king of England banned coffee houses in 1675. They were just convenient meeting places for people to conspire against him. 
  • Coffee beans are actually seeds that grow inside a lovely red berry. 
Image via Flickr by Scot Nelson
  • After oil, coffee is the most commonly traded commodity on Earth. 
  • One of the founding fathers of the United States invented instant coffee. Okay, not really, but his name was George Washington. I'm not sure if we should be grateful to him. 
  • In WWII, American servicemen, GI Joes, earned a reputation as big coffee drinkers. Hence, we have the term "cup of joe."
  • 100 cups of coffee in one day will kill you. Not a bad way to go, but still, keep an eye on how much you consume. 
Image via Flickr by Pete Simon
  • "Cappuccinos" are called such because the drink resembles the clothing of Capuchin monks.  
  • According to legend, the effects of coffee first got noticed when some goats ate the berries and started to go bonkers. Well, hyper, anyway, if not completely bonkers. 
Okay, now I want a big, delicious cup of coffee. 

Check out these links for more fascinating facts about coffee: 

No comments:

Post a Comment