Friday, June 13, 2014

Ruby, My Beauty

I am moving soon, and today I sorted through some of my old notebooks--I have about a gazillion of them--and I found some poems that I wrote for a class in college. This one is for my long lost love (who was a car). Feel free to make fun of me.

Nearly seventeen years I waited to meet you,
And continually the ache grew and grew
So with set face I set forth
And found you mine.

Yes, finally.

It was a tiny eternity, ours.
It seemed just like hours
That we cruised, united and smooth.
You were my catchphrase.

Yes, mine.

We survived a bad turn and a few lies.
But everything seemed all right.
I'm so sorry we came to that light,
So sad that the other guy was there.

Yes, full of regret.

Ruby, dear friend,
You've met your end.
Worth less than your value.
So heartbreaking, but true.

Goodbye, dear Ruby
And as you do your junkyard duty,
Remember all our glee
That we had together.

Yes, I'll remember too.

And one more apology;
Your replacement is Cherry.
She's younger and thinner,
An undeniable prize.

Yes, she shines.

So as you rust,
Keep all my love,
And please hold no grudge.
Farewell, Ruby my beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment